Will ducks eat ticks?

cutechick2010

Songster
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Illinois 20 chicken years
I just got back from the vet, and one of my dogs has Lyme disease, despite our efforts to keep the ticks off of the dogs, cats etc. I worry that one of my human kids will be next. :( I had been considering getting ducks, either Khaki Campbells or Muscovies, how well does either breed (or any kind of duck) eat ticks?

If you want to get rid of ricks you'd be better off with guineas not ducks.

If you want to get rid of ricks you'd be better off with guineas not ducks.

Yeah I know, but I would like to raise Muscovies for meat/eggs anyway and was hoping they might eat ticks too. Plus for some reason, my collie absolutely HATES guineas, I tried raising them once before and she wouldn't stop chasing them. She has never bothered the chickens, the geese or the Rouen ducks I had, she is fine with my rabbits running around, but I think she is sensitive to the noise of the guineas. Collies tend to be sensitive to loud noises, and she is particularly sensitive that way.

Ducks will eat bugs, but I wouldn't think they'd be particularly effective at reducing the tick population. I see ticks on my dogs occasionally and I have a small flock of ducks. I don't know, but if I had to guess, I would think chickens would be better at eating ticks than ducks. They seem to pick at little bugs more than ducks do (at least from what I've observed in my own birds).

Back
Top Bottom