Will ducks interbreed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ElioraImmanuel, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    If I were to get 2 types of duck Cayugas (4:1) and Blue Swedish (4:1) would they interbreed? Is it possible to keep multiple breeds?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Yes, any mallard derived breed (which means any domestic duck) can cross. Mallard derived breeds can also cross with muscovy's but the result is a mule duck, just like crossing a donkey and a horse results in an infertile offspring.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

YES!!! I have a rouen hen and a black runner drake that are a couple. He is very protective of her too.

4. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    When I first read the title "will ducks interbreed?" my first thought was "with each other? YES! with other poultry? They may try if you aren't careful ....!"

Ducks are no respector of breed, LOL. And they sometimes get attached to geese, etc. Drakes will also often attempt to breed hens (chickens). If you want different pure breeds, you must pen them separately before getting eggs for hatching. [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Drakes will mate any object animate or inanimate that catches their fancy. Yes you can keep several breeds together, but the only way you can hatch purebred ducklings is if you separate them prior to collecting and incubating eggs.

6. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Lol; we used to have a mallard hen running around with three kampbell drakes. They all did fine and had their fun.

7. Mary Courtney

Mary Courtney Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Ducks, male and female, never take off the Vulcan Horn Hat, if you get my drift. Our drake was killed by a dog (so sad!) and now I see the remaining 'ladies' giving each other 'piggy-back-rides'. They are SO confused!!! lololol *)> *)> *)>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by