will egg yolk help my chicks wonky-ness ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lucyharper123, Dec 17, 2012.

1. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    i have given my 3-week old unbalanced chicks hard boiled egg with a tiny bit of butter to help it go down, i have giving them this to give them strength to stop them falling around but do you think it will help ? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Unless they have some nutrient deficiency, adding these items won't do any good, and may do some harm.

Not that there is anything bad about adding these items to their diet, but it throws off the overall nutrient content of their feeding program.

They should be more-or-less strictly on starter feed when they are young.

Butter to help it go down? Birds eat rocks to help them digest their food--I don't think that they need the butter...

3. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    I agree that it is best to avoid feeding chickens - especially chicks - anything, such as butter, that is high in fat. However, along with formulated chick starter & water, I do feed chicks mashed boiled eggs. I do this from time of hatch 'till I get tired of doing it. Egg yolk is their perfect protein & by feeding it from my hand, it helps tame them. Your broody hen will appreciate this, as well.

Returned to this post as I realized I did not address the issue of what you say is your chicks "wonkiness." They can be teetery sometimes, but should not always be teetery, or "wonky," as you say. Constant wonkiness could indicate something that is beyond me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. chicksooner

chicksooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Are they warm enough and have you tried something like save-a-chick in their water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by