Will Ellah EVER grow up?

Quote:
im giving you ideas on how to keep her brain going yes i understand shes very obedient she listens well thats why you should be teaching her more commands its a way for her to keep stimulated and its easy enough for you to do even when your tierd.
teach her the names of differant toys to retrieve on command for you the goal isnt to train her the goal is to entertain her. if she has a short attention span keep it short and fun. dogs who are very energetic and smart benefit from learning lots of new things all the time like border collies or aussie cattle dogs people never stop teaching them new things becuase it entertains the dogs it has nothing to do with training your dog to listen to you.
werent you wondering how to keep her entertained? if not what was the question?

Which is how you missed the point. The problem is that after a long & hard day at work, I'm too tired to even cook, never mind think of & apply creative ways to entertain my dog. I mentioned her training only to show that she isn't an untrained, badly behaved dog. I never went out of my way to train these things, they just popped up in our day to day living. My rant started off wondering when she would stop showing such puppy like behavior & isn't really about a puppy that needs entertaining, it's more about me not being able to give that right now & feeling guilty about it & wondering how single mothers with young children cope.

actually, dogs were selected since the beginning of time to KEEP their puppy behavior. A small breed dog can live for 20 years, so 2 is still very much a baby anyway.

All of the suggestions offered can be part of day to day life as well. Teach her to "find" the kids. Tell her "find Bobby" and have Bobby call her then give a yummy treat. Start in the same room, then move farther away.

As someone said, teach her the names of her toys. This doesn't require any more than sitting on the couch with some treats. Drop the ball on the floor. Tell her "get the ball" as soon as she even LOOKS at the ball say "yes" (or use a clicker) and give her a treat. As she learns that, have her give you the ball. Once she knows "ball" add in another toy. Etc Etc

Quote:
thats why i suggested you do this for only a few minutes at a time.
like go thru a routine once of sit,lie down and somthign new then stop it would be 2 minutes tops then take a break for a half hour to relax then do the routine again

i know its tough sometimes especielly when all yo u wanna do is just sit down! 2 years ago i was babysitting full time 15 hours a day every day 2 of the worst brattiest kids EVER! and hte parents where insane!! the 3 month old baby i HAD to keep awake all day without a nap from noon untill 3am (yes they were insane) and that baby NEVER STOPPED CRYING i mean NEVER i did call sociel services on them later but by the time i got home i was so exhuasted i just wanted to sleep but i couldnt i had a puppy who needed a walk and some training i had a bunny rabbit who needed time out of her cage(she was an indoor bunny and when i got her i was told she was a full blooded holland lop and wouldnt get very big did research and got what i thought was a decent sized cage for an adult only to have her become a very large bunny i mean like close to flemish giant large) i had a goldfish in a too small tank who needed the water changed 2 times a week. it was hard work i lost sleep over it my mom kept telling me "get rid of somthing get rid of somthing you cant take care of all those pets and work too" but i did becuase i loved them and i didnt want to let any of them go and they needed that care to be happy.
i know its hard but just keep thinking about how happy youll make her and if you can take a half hour everyday youll soon find that the more and more you do that at the same time the less tierd youll be at that time.
do you cook dinner when you come home? watch tv? lie in bed and read a book? you can easily do those tings along with doing some tricks with her if your cooking dinner carry some treats in your pocket and ask her to do somthing treat her then go back to cooking everytime you have a second ask her to do somthing and treat her.

if you are sitting on the couch watching tv stay sitting on the couch! theres no need to stand up to ask her to do somthing! try asking her to do things while theres commercials and quit when the show is back on!

if your lieing in bed call her up onto the bed and have her do things for you on the bed you can be comfrotable and relaxed while entertaining your girl!

i just want to help becuase i know you said you feel guilty and i know you really want to do the best for her to make her happy and teachingh her a new thing is pretty simple way of doing that and you dont even have to get super excited for her just a calm petting and a few whispers of "what a good girl" will suffice.
i wish you luck and hope you can find a way that works for both of you!

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Ellah gets tons of love & stroking, playing with hands & kisses, it's just the running & socializing with other dogs that she's missing out on at the moment.

dogs don't need to socialize with other dogs, really. it's actually not natural for dogs/canines to have "friends" outside their usual pack. Having a doggie buddy to place chase with is a good way to burn off energy, but really not necessary.

Another idea would be to look into doggie day care once a week or so if you want her to have that outlet.

Lol, we don't have doggy daycare. Ellah loves meeting new dogs & playing with them. It's one of her favorite things to do. The brat is lying on my forearms while I type right now. She loves doing that-probably gives her a nice massage.

Thanks, she friended you so now so can see all her pics
big_smile.png

today was the first day I was actually able to see the pics. She is a little cutie and it looks like she loves the beach!

Back
Top Bottom