Will fence fighting be an issue?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by racuda, Nov 4, 2010.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have 5 coops with runs and each coop has a rooster or two. I also have hens that free range and can visit all of these runs. Now here is my concern. I have some Ameraucana chicks that I am going to let free range when they get old enough, including up to 2 roosters. Will these 2 roosters spend their days fighting through the fenced run with the Cochins, Slkies and Seramas? Or will they get tired of that and carry on watching over their flock? I would hate to have to block off the runs with a vision barrier.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Just my semi-educated guess: they'll get tired of it. Especially since they cannot connect and "win."

I use grow out coop/pens and have only observed a little bit of neck feather flaring and jumps at the fence dividing the older birds from the younger ones. Actually, the younger ones are the testier bunch. And they give up after a while.

But none of mine have been permanent residents with established roosters in them.... so... [​IMG]

So, how helpful was that??!??!!? Sorry!

3. racepondUSA

racepondUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    two of my roos have been fighting thru the fence everyday for the las year they havent got tired of it yet the funny thing is that on is a bantam and the other is a standard size chicken the only thing to keep them from fighting was to put tin around the bottom of the pen

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe. Most likely they will have at least sort of a go at it in the beginning. How soon (or whether) they give up on that depends on their personalities. You would want the fencing to be reasonably rooster-proof (and un-fly-over-able) and then just see what happens and adapt accordingly.

Pat

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Mine seem to enjoy the periodic fence seperated bout. They've never hurt themselves and give up long before they get really tired so I let them do what they want. It's funny to watch espeically when one of them is going at it full scale and the roo he's "fighting" is ignoring him completely. [​IMG]

A gate got left open once and two roos who had fence fought for a long time came face to face. They just seemed flabbergasted for a minute then went at each other a few times before walking back into their own runs to start up again with the fence between them.

I don't raise fighting brreds so my roos have never doen any real dmage to each other and usually live in a semi truce state.

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i have two pens with 1/2" hardware cloth between them and they have still fought through the fence. one of my roos tore off his top beak by catching it in there. i would definately put something to block the view between them

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by