Will feral cats eat my chickens?

I disagree, any cat that is on my property is no longer being contained to their owners place, and is now feral. Feral cats (and coyotes) have practically wiped out our rabbit and quail populations in my area. I will dispose of as many as I can draw a bead on, as they are vermin and a nuisance. Trap, spay/neuter, and release does not prevent a feral cat from decimating a local native bird and rabbit population. And since felids can live a long life, that is decades of them hunting and killing more other species.
A cat showed up interitently at my place last summer and ran off when i came out. I assumed it was feral but never had a chance to dwal with it. I have chickens and 21 cottontails living around my house. Since the drought broke the cotton rats and field mice took over. Saw them running aound in daylight. One day thisvcat began following my wife wanting to play. Couldnt run it off. A rat wouldvcome out and feed with my chickens until i saw the cat eating it. I have found several partially eaten rats but havent seen a live one since. The cat brought a sparrow he caught to my wife and one live rat he eventually killed. He wants to play with dogs but wont survive that. However he ignores the rabbits. This is most likely a dumped cat or stray but not feral. He freaked out when she took him inside so she took him back out. He is going to the clinic and just be an outside cat. If he thins out the starlings and rats then he has purpose. I always thought god made cats because he knew man would invent a 22. Rat poison has caused some secondary poisonings on my place so i quit using it. This dumb cat seems to be helping.

I have nine chickens, all adult sized who have at least a little (supervised) free range time almost daily. My next door neighbor has about twelve outdoor (but not feral) cats. They all coexist peacefully. When the chickens were younger, only one of the cats showed any stalking behavior and was quickly put in his place with a firm peck to the head. Now they all hang out around each other. I wouldn't call it "friendly," but they definitely get along.

Back
Top Bottom