Will Fighter Chicken protect the flock?

Feb 23, 2018
Hello... i have a free ranging flock of chickens.. i always get a problem of mink getting chiks from hen...while they free range.. i have two roosters and they both get scared more than my hens.. will adding fighter chickens (game chicken) be good for the flock.? I live in india and indian fighter breed Aseel is available nearby!
Plz say you opinion and if I should add then should it be a roo or hens

a roosters role with predators is to make a fuss and warn the hens of danger. beyond that mostly if they stand and fight will end up lunch for the predator.
there are some exceptions, i have heard the stories, but i think any story where the chicken lives is rare.
i had a group of guineas with baby keets once and when a red tail hawk swooped thu the yard, a male guinea flew up and attacked the hawk in mid air. spooking him off. One for the guinea!
i also have lost quite a few chickens and guineas to red tails. more wins for the hawk.
never had the breed you speak of.
also i lost a new broody last summer as she stood her ground to protect her babies and she was no match for the bobcat that took her.
the best protection i have for my flock of free range birds is the 3 guardian dogs that are outside with them. still i lost 6 this past summer.
good luck!

a roosters role with predators is to make a fuss and warn the hens of danger. beyond that mostly if they stand and fight will end up lunch for the predator.
there are some exceptions, i have heard the stories, but i think any story where the chicken lives is rare.
i had a group of guineas with baby keets once and when a red tail hawk swooped thu the yard, a male guinea flew up and attacked the hawk in mid air. spooking him off. One for the guinea!
i also have lost quite a few chickens and guineas to red tails. more wins for the hawk.
never had the breed you speak of.
also i lost a new broody last summer as she stood her ground to protect her babies and she was no match for the bobcat that took her.
the best protection i have for my flock of free range birds is the 3 guardian dogs that are outside with them. still i lost 6 this past summer.
good luck!
where do you free range them ? are they in a fenced yard? if so I have technique that will help with the hawks.

A big game rooster might be able to defend against some smaller predators during the day, but he will also not share his territory or hens with any other roosters. If you want one big game bird, fine. Otherwise, it won't go well.
No chicken can mange any predators at night, and one rooster can't be everywhere.
Mink are very good at what they do, and I doubt that many chickens of any breed can match them.
Mary

An asil hen should be able to kill a mink that tries to mess with it's chicks. Have had the roosters take on predators much larger than a mink successfully, even in the dark. They can see better than most chickens in the dark and are pretty accurate at hitting sounds, even on a pitch black night, as my shins can attest from any of several experiences rescuing wayward predators from the wrath of an angry bird.

Either exclude or remove mink. You could locate flock in elevated location until mink moves on. I assume you are near water

Are you certain the animal is a mink? I have not seen a chicken that can beat a determined adult mink, especially after dark. My issues with mink have been extremely limited where chickens where confined close to ground near a water way. A relative has repeat issues with mink as his poultry is very close to a stream. He resorted to keeping a dog close and traps out all the time to minimize losses. More vulnerable hens with chicks are move up hill away from from stream. They are moved more by encouraging foraging and roosting in finca area that is actually moved.

Last edited:
An asil hen should be able to kill a mink that tries to mess with it's chicks. Have had the roosters take on predators much larger than a mink successfully, even in the dark. They can see better than most chickens in the dark and are pretty accurate at hitting sounds, even on a pitch black night, as my shins can attest from any of several experiences rescuing wayward predators from the wrath of an angry bird.
Haha. Yeah right my money is on the mink every time especially over a slow oriental hen. Mink are d*mn fast.

no only a dog can protect the flock like a serious dog. If its just small predators than any dog that is protective and big will do. If you have packs of coyotes you might need a real working dog. I live in canada though so we deal with all kinds of insane predators so we imported extreme protection dogs. If i lived in cali doubt i would need something this extreme. We have emu they hiss and will chase foxes and stuff. Alpaca will chase and spit at foxes also lol. But dogs have killed both.

Haha. Yeah right my money is on the mink every time especially over a slow oriental hen. Mink are d*mn fast.
Yeah i agree. I use to think a strong rooster could fight a mink off until i caught a mink on my asils head chewing it off. Roosters try but they really do need protection from another predator. I know someone who raises chickens and does falconry and his eagle owl kills whatever comes to eat the chickens lol mink included.

DOMESTIC cats you have a much better chance on them protecting your chickens OR guinea fowl or giant canada geese. Ive seen canada geese beat a mink silly before.

Back
Top Bottom