Will goats keep away some predators?

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
I am curious. Firstly because, I really really want some goats and I keep getting told no. The second reason the lady we used to get our brown eggs from swears that a goat will help with predators. I know when I was 8 or so she had one in with the chickens. I don't remember if it helped but she swears it will. I have had no issues yet but we are surrounded by woods so I know its a possibility. I don't know how my coop will stand up to some of the predators i hear about. A weasel or a Racoon could get in I think. They seem to get into anything short of fort knox. We are constantly working on it but they seem to be very determined animals. I just hope they munch on stuff in the garden or garbage cans and leave my chickens alone.

So has anyone heard about goats and predators?

I've heard of people using them I've never tried it myself we have critters around here that like the taste of goat too (chupacabra)
lol.png
However some folks say that they will keep snakes away because they move so frequently the snakes don't like all the traffic. I'm not a huge fan of goats for many reasons mostly the Billy's peeing on their own faces and the smell but I have several good friends with bunches of them, they usually put donkeys in with them to protect the goats from predators.

We live on a hobby farm and had no problem with snakes, or my chickens eat them like they do to toads. I supose the goat didnt eat the chickens food or trample them it would work

Goats are prey animals. They are more likely to end up as a meal than to protect your chickens. Of course if the coyote or whatever fills up on goat, he won't bother your chickens. That day anyway.

Just a couple more comments. I have known of any number of goats getting bitten by snakes, some fatally, so obviously they do not keep snakes away. The only goats that smell are intact bucks. Does and wethers do not smell. Bucks are pretty obnoxious in their habits though. I think they are funny.

Goats off absolutely no protection to chickens. I have both, and have to worry about predators for both. A dog will kill a goat just as quickly as he will kill a chicken. If a goat were to see a coon, it would be more likely to run to his pen than challenge it. Same thing for anything that slithers, crawls, creeps or moves! Goats are frightened by everything. Great fun to have, but not much in the way of protection.

@ stonerow..
I know this is a bit off topic, But I (like the OP here) am kinda wanting goats too. trying to talk the wife in to it hehe.
I have been looking around and was wondering what the temperment of those nigerian dwarf goats was, I hear they are good milkers for their size, but don't know how ... tame they are (tame isn't the word i was looking for there =/)

Edit to below:

Will send you a pm
smile.png

and again, sorry to the OP for the disruption, but If you were looking for goat info, I think you found a good source here hehe

Last edited:
I absolutely love having goats. I started with three wethers (castrated males) to make sure I could handle them through the winter. By the following February I bought two pregnant does from the same herd. Last June/July they kidded out with a total of four babies. So now my little herd is up to nine, five boys and four girls. The niggies are an excellent breed. They are small enough for easy handling, although being a small woman, they will on occasion pin me to the wall. They are incredibly affectionate, docile and very friendly. I have one doe still in milk from last summer's kidding. The milk is a higher fat content and quite rich. The niggies will heat every month (unlike some breeds) and can be kept in milk for a longer period of time then some of the others. Their care is pretty easy, fresh hay (which they waste a lot of), minimal grain twice a day, lots of fresh water as well as free choice minerals and baking soda. Their hooves need to be trimmed about every three months. Depending on your area, worming 2-4 times a year. Brushing as needed. That's pretty much it.

I have one boy who every day after he gets his grain will get up on one of the stands and wait for his face scratches and a kiss on the forehead. If I get distracted by one of the other goats, he will sidle up to me and nibble on me to get my attention. They love attention and will nibble to get it, as well as jump up on you (hence the wall pinning).

If you decide to get into goats, be sure to thoroughly check the herd and ask if they've tested clean for CAE, CL. Unfortunately like anything else, there are some people out there who just push the animals through without concern for them and keep passing on undesirable traits and diseases. If you want more info, send me an PM.

OP - Sorry to highjack the thread.

Other than the fact that goats can be extremely destructive, goats make great pets! Proper fencing will go a long way in helping you enjoy your goats.

They can also supply milk and meat. A very lean meat.

I prefer dehorned goats to goats that still have their horns. Horns can cause a lot of damage to a child, and goats have very good aim with those horns !

But, they are all chicken hearted, so protection is not one of their fortes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom