will gourds survive if planted around the run fence??

ThreeGlovers

Songster
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
Beebe, Arkansas
Has anyone tried to plant gourds around the outside of their chicken runs? Those dipper gourds. Maybe the little ornamental types? I was thinking that it would help with shade and I wouldn't have to build a seperate trellis for them to grow on.

Thanks
Bo

Well from my experience with my girls when I have let them free range and they get into my vegetable garden and find any of my gourds ripe or not ripe ....if one manages to get a little hole started through the skin ...everyone will take turns at eating the gourd...but I dont really mind because I mostly plant my gourds to fed the girls anyways...they love them....they also like the Tomato's....green or red.....

You need about 2 ft clearance because the roots are rather large. I'll be growing gourds, squash, pumpkin and sunflowers outside my run this summer. Had a few last year. But my hens are a closed flock, so I bring the treats into the run, except for small plantings like nasturtiums that grown into the run...

I tried to plant some vines around mine last summer...HA. The hens kept them pecked back to almost nothing. You can't plant ANYTHING GREEN where they can reach it! lol

Back
Top Bottom