Will I be able to tell which chicks are....

Rysktal

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
Prince Edward Island, Canada
*wasnt sure where to post this*

I'm getting ready to set up my incubator to hatch a replacement rooster for my flock.

It'll be a Light Brahma rooster over...rhode island red, red sex link, half brahma/half barred rock & half brahma/half mixed breed.

Will I be able to tell which chicks are half red sex link? I dont want to keep a rooster from that combination, but I cant exactly tell which eggs belong to who.

Extra chicks will grow up to be dinner, so I dont mind putting the RSL eggs in.

*wasnt sure where to post this*

I'm getting ready to set up my incubator to hatch a replacement rooster for my flock.

It'll be a Light Brahma rooster over...rhode island red, red sex link, half brahma/half barred rock & half brahma/half mixed breed.

Will I be able to tell which chicks are half red sex link? I dont want to keep a rooster from that combination, but I cant exactly tell which eggs belong to who.

Extra chicks will grow up to be dinner, so I dont mind putting the RSL eggs in.
Well, can you tell the RSL’s eggs apart from the rest of the flock?
Select only RSL eggs - or mark them so you remember which is which.

"Grow up to be dinner"? Might I suggest an alternative?
Seafood:
crabs.JPG

Do you get something other than large brown eggs? If so, then just assume that all large brown eggs are ones you do not want and only keep chicks from the ones that are not large and brown.

I think I can tell which ones are Rhode Island Red, but my half brahma ladies and RSL eggs look similar.

I'm going to see if I can find a spot to separate the RSL!

I was hoping someone would say brahma/RSL chicks are easily identified, but I guess not 😆

I think I can tell which ones are Rhode Island Red, but my half brahma ladies and RSL eggs look similar.

I'm going to see if I can find a spot to separate the RSL!

I was hoping someone would say brahma/RSL chicks are easily identified, but I guess not 😆
Problem with the sex-link breeds is that technically they could be several different crosses to get that sex link, so, depending on what genetics are in there I'm sure the chicks could come out many different ways.

Back
Top Bottom