Will I have Problems?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zyklonbetty, Jul 18, 2011.

1. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    Hi, I have 3 chickens (hens) and recently decided to add some ducks (all about a month old.) We know that we aren't going to have a problem with ducks crowing like with chickens, but didnt really consider problems we may have with drakes. Are there any issues we should expect with a drake that we should take into account that are different than with the hens? All we did was research keeping hens, we just fell in love with the drake. any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If you just have one drake, things should be fine.
    You can also keep ONLY drakes(with no hens) and they generally form a little "Boy Band" and get along great.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Drakes generally have a testosterone overload and may start breeding your chickens. This can cause serious injury to your chickens as their reproductive tract is not designed for the insertion of "objects". Drakes have a penis- roosters do not.

4. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, it is probably best to separate the chickens and the ducks. Although mine are currently going through separation anxiety as they just recently lost their pullet ladies...

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

If you got a female duck you might not have the drake on chicken thing. [​IMG]

6. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    I currently now have 2 drakes and 3 CHICKEN hens... has anyone ever had problems with the drake on chicken thing? they are all housed together and as far as i can tell- complete buddies.
    How would I know the ducks were trying to get the hens?

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    In did not not know ducks had penises! Very interesting!

8. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:The amazing things you learn on BYC ---- they look like a corkscrew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by