1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will it harm ducks to swim in chlorinated pool?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bock_Bock, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i was just wondering this a si know their feathers have repelent on them but the ducks also drink the water they swim in so i was just wondering if you had a duck and let it swim in your big in-ground chlorinated pool will it harm the ducks?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I've heard that cholrine is not the greatest for ducks... It can strip the oil from their feathers, causing them to get water logged easily. I also don't thin drinking it is too healthy.

I guess if swimmig in the pool is just a treat, or if passing ducks take to your pool, it's okay... I wouldn't let my pet ducks swim all summer in my pool.... not only for their health but also because i don't want poop in my pool!

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks so much for your answer as i do not have a pool i was jw wondering thanks

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I'd be worried about the pool! The first thing my ducks do when they get in water is poop, the second thing they do is poop. Then before they get out they poop again.

5. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Ugh! We have an inground pool, and there's no way I'd let the ducks anywhere NEAR it.

After seeing the mess they make of the bathtub when they're little, and their own pond when they're old enough to go out, I'd never swim in anything they swam in. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by