Will Just Two Chicks Be Okay???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wsdareme, Mar 25, 2011.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    After throwing out 5 of 7 BCM eggs (they were my own -- I have an overworked rooster so only two were fertile), my remaining 2 eggs are pipping as I type. [​IMG]

My question is: Will two chicks (assuming they are both healthy and survive) be enough for companionship? [​IMG]

I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the feed store and get a few more chicks, but I am really getting maxed out on chickens. My DH even suggested I call about a "free, lone Polish chick" in a craigslist ad to keep them company. [​IMG]

I was planning on selling this batch of chicks, but if I'm only getting two I'm thinking of keeping them and maybe selling some of my older ones. [​IMG]

2. Christine21656

Christine21656 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
    Yeah, 2 should be fine. They would probably be happier with one more [​IMG] I had 2 hatch out of my first batch, and they are about 5 or 6 weeks old now. They have been fine together!

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I think 2 is OK, but a few more would be better, just in case one doesn't live. It's a good time of year since feed stores and TSC should have chicks readily available now.

4. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oh, I'd get the free one. If one or two turns out to be a roo, then what?

But then, I'd really like to have a Polish hen.....

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I had 2 do just fine together,then yesterday I put in another chick with them.Only chick that made it to hatch after 2 incubator malfunctions.

6. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I have 7 total chicks but 2 were too small to go in with the rest of them(this is what happens with chicken math) so I am doing seperate brooding and the 2 tiny ones are doing great with just eachother, actually they have completely bonded and one follows the other everywhere. it's really cute to watch. [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I had just two chicks the other day. They looked lonely and scared in the brooder by themselves (I bought them from the feed store).

So I went back and bought some more. But you must deal with the coop space that you have. I am going to have to sell some at auction eventually because I overdid my chick buying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by