Will low tree limbs deter hawks from attacking ranging bantams?

I only let my hens free range when I will be out and about.

I have a long honeysuckle hedge row in my yard that the girls run to for protection when they see a hawk. This hedgerow is very thick and a hawk simply could not navigate it during flight. THAT being said I did witness a hawk one day (I went in to make a cold beverage and was looking out the kitchen window) swoop down and chase the chickens on foot through, around and around the hedgerow. Fortunately a hawk on the ground is not very nimble and chickens where able to elude him until I came running out screaming and waving my arms like mental case to save the day.

Your hens can still have a little play time outside their tractor, you will just have to plan it so you will be outside to supervise. In nice weather I generally make a cold beverage go out about an hour to an hour and half before dusk and let them have a little wing exercising time! I just sit back and watch their antics. Better than any tv show.

Quote:
Sad to hear about your birds. You did your honest best, eh? Sorry.
hugs.gif

I guess I didn't take the other posts as being mean, so much as telling people to be realistic. I wished (when my kids were little) that they could ride their bikes up and down the street, like I did. But it wasn't safe. It's sorta weighing the risk vs. the benefits & making a "right for me" decision.

Quote:
Sad to hear about your birds. You did your honest best, eh? Sorry.
hugs.gif

I guess I didn't take the other posts as being mean, so much as telling people to be realistic. I wished (when my kids were little) that they could ride their bikes up and down the street, like I did. But it wasn't safe. It's sorta weighing the risk vs. the benefits & making a "right for me" decision.

i only had a problem with 1 post....none others....as far as telling people to be realistic...thats fine... however,its not fine with me when people are rude about it and say they are tired of people crying about their attacked birds...just seems very callous to me...and maybe to others that do not want to lock their birds up 24/7....we know the risks...dosent mean we cant be hurt and upset when something happpens...and again....my worst attack came when they were in their locked run and could not run or fly away to safety ....everyone has THEIR own way to raise their birds....but, i wouldnt call locking them up 24/7 "realistic"....sorry...its really not "realistic" to ME.....just call it what it really is....your choice....and lets stop judging others for their choices...i dont judge others for locking up their birds 24/7....and so, all i ask that you dont judge me for letting my birds out for a few hours of fun each day..

Back
Top Bottom