Will mallards come back home after winter?

Calebtoro

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Um so I just got a new mallard duckling which was a runt and the mother tried to drown it so we took it in and now I guess we have a mallard.

I was wondering if they come home after the winter migration or if they even migrate at all if hand raised I wouldn’t want it to leave me after one summer :( and never come back.

I’m in Connecticut New England climate btw.

Last edited:
Um so I just got a new mallard duckling which was a runt and the mother tried to drown it so we took it in and now I guess we have a mallard.

I was wondering if they come home after the winter migration or if they even migrate at all if hand raised I wouldn’t want it to leave me after one summer :( and never come back.

I’m in Connecticut New England climate btw.
I am sorry but it is illegal to mess with a wild duck, it's nest eggs or babies. You need to find an animal rehabilitation center or someone who is licensed to have wildlife in their possession. You can actually be in trouble for having that bird in your possession.
That said..I doubt it will try to migrate if you raise it from that young of age. And if it did try it would probably not survive once accustomed to being cared for by people.

I am sorry but it is illegal to mess with a wild duck, it's nest eggs or babies. You need to find an animal rehabilitation center or someone who is licensed to have wildlife in their possession. You can actually be in trouble for having that bird in your possession.
That said..I doubt it will try to migrate if you raise it from that young of age. And if it did try it would probably not survive once accustomed to being cared for by people.
lol not in Connecticut it is legal to take an unattended duckling here.

If you had a good bond with it then it's likely he/she will come back. Our wild Mallards come back every spring, though they don't migrate around here.

Back
Top Bottom