Will my babies get sick too? Avian pox? Added photos. Please help!!

Zigmont

Songster
10 Years
Oct 29, 2011
A few months ago, my rooster's comb started getting bloody, black, and looked like it was desintegrating. I put antibiotic cream on it and it healed, but kept coming back to the point of covering his whole comb. He's a Dominique and has quite a large, wide comb. Anyway, he is now gone as of yesterday, but I have 6 week old babies in the garage waiting to Integrate into the flock soon. If this is avian pox, are my other hens exposed, and what will happen to the babies when I integrate them? I plan to bleach the coop and all food, water sources today, but will the babies get sick? The other adult hens don't have any visible symptoms so far. Does it matter if I wait, or is the virus there no matter what? Will the babies be more susceptible to severe illness? I am very worried. Please anyone with expertise?

does this hen now have it?

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5708199/width/350/height/700

Last edited:
my guess would be if the babies are exposed to the disease its quite possible for them to get it. I read in my chicken Heath book there are two kinds of pox wet and dry. it can be spread by means of feathers scabs . don't introduce the babies until they are healed. it says it can last for 3 to5 weeks. I think if you sanitize every thing well and wait for them to cure hopefully the babies won't get it. but if they come across a scab or feathers then they might. I wish you the best and wish you luck. all you can do is try. hopefully they won't get it.

Thank you very much. I don't think the babies have been exposed. They haven't had any exposure to the flock yet. I sanitized everything today. I'm just not sure what he had. The photos of fowl pox are similar, but his whole comb looked like it was being eaten away and it seems too long to be fowl pox.

Back
Top Bottom