Will My Broody Know What To Do?

turningchicken

Songster
12 Years
Jun 8, 2010
I have a 7 month old rose comb bantam that decided to set just as it began to turn cold. I thought she was too young so I haven't made provisions for her near the ground. She laid her egss in a 3/4 enclosed nest box that is 3 feet from the ground. It has a 2 inch lpi across the front. The walk plank is about 6 inches wide. My question is...will she be able to get the babies down the plank to food or do I need to make a lower box? My first time at having a broody as I have just been incubating....sort of like the young mom that thinks her baby will always be a baby.

Her chicks will be fine. I had a Dorking hen who decided to set in the attic of our barn. Since it used to be someone's cabin the attic is about 7-8 feet from the ground. I was surprised to find her (and her chicks) pecking around in the chicken yard. She had hatched them and flown down from the attic with her chicks right behind her. All survived and lived to grow up. Your hen will know exactly what to do. Have fun.

Keep an eye on things when the chicks hatch. She may try to return to the nestbox after the chicks hatch, and they will be unable to follow her. An experienced mother will stay on the floor with her chicks, but a first timer might not.

Thanks for the advice. My husband keeps telling that I need to let nature do its thing . I feel responsible and want to help in any way I can. I am preparing a warm nest box on the ground and hope she uses it!! Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom