Will my Chickens Drown in a Creek?

We have two large ponds. My chickens have never fallen in (so far). They drink from them and forage along the edges. It took them about two minutes to figure out the bridge that goes from one side to the other. The only problem I ever had was when one of the kids slipped a goose egg under a broody. When the little guy discovered the ponds his "mom" flipped out and stood on the shore squawking for him!

Last edited:
We get water rushing though the pen in high rains - I've found it necessary to put in several t-posts on the fence where the water exits. This keeps the fence from collapsing from the accumulated dirt and leaves, until I can shovel it all out.

The chickens have been out in the pen from a few weeks old, and none have drowned in the flash floods! They stay on the high side when the water's heavy.

I would say that if the creek is deeper than the chickens are tall, it's too deep. A narrow little arch bridge would be so fun to watch the ladies cross.
big_smile.png

You must now take a photo so I can show hubby what my new landscaping needs are.
lol.png

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
That sounds positively enchanting! Your girls should be fine as long as the bridge isn't perilously narrow. Please posts pictures!

You'll be able to post pics once you have 10 posts under your belt.

Since I'm trying to get to 10 posts ....

I've got another unusual situation. My next door neighbor and I bought 6 hens together (3 each).

They stayed in his coop (modified playhouse) until I got my coop/pen done. Almost three weeks later --
this past Thursday -- I moved my three hens into my coop (they had been selected and named by my three kids).

Now, one of the hens flies over my fence and over another fence into his yard. The fence is 3 1/2 feet high. So, I'm probably going
to have to make the fence higher somehow. Is he trying to get back to the original nesting box? Does he miss his other sisters?

Also, the hens were starting to lay eggs before we moved them (we're not sure which hens), but now my hens
haven't laid an egg since moving day. Do they just require some time to adjust? Now these hens are at the age
where their just starting to lay eggs.

Any thoughts about this unusual situation?

I meant to write "she" instead of "he" when referring to the hens.
I make the same mistake with our dog and I'm always corrected by my kids
smile.png

It is perfectly normal for hens to take some time to adjust after being moved. Two weeks is the most I've heard, and since you didn't move them far, you might actually have more trouble. I'd suggest keeping them cooped up for a good few days, if not a week, to force them to get used to the coop they're in and the chickens they're with. They'll start laying again in their new nestbox, and once they've laid for a few days, start letting them back out. Still, with only a 3.5ft fence, you'll have trouble keeping the chickens apart. I've had good luck with some plastic garden netting along the top of my fence, in sort of a 7 shape, so the girls can't fly up and stop on top of the fence. Also, you might want to check out some of the other posts while you're getting your post count up. Worst to worst, you can say Hi to some of the other new members on an introductions thread.

Back
Top Bottom