Will my chickens ever integrate??

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
I have been trying to integrate my 3 month old flock with my 7 month old flock. They all share the same 1 acre fenced in area. Their coops are next to each other. There is no run.

They have been around each other for months now but they basically keep completely separate from each other. The only time they interact is when the older pullets chase away the younger ones from food. That's it.

I was hoping they would merge into one flock. Will that ever happen?

Right now, it's like young adults (7 month flock) who don't want to hang out with kids or teenagers (3 month flock.)

When both groups are mature and laying eggs, they may merge into one flock.

Or they might continue to hang out separately. I think chickens like to be with a small group, but not a big mob, so they sort themselves into groups of friends that spend time together.

They have been around each other for months now but they basically keep completely separate from each other.
Sounds totally normal. My less mature chickens tend to form sub-flocks and stay away from more mature chickens until they all reach a certain maturity level, typically about the time the younger ones lay. If the younger invade the personal space of the older they are likely to get pecked or worse. It usually doesn't take long for them to learn to stay away. Once they all mature they are much more likely to merge into one group but even then they may spend a lot of time in their own flock.

My goal for integration is that no one gets hurt. Sounds like you are there. All that one big happy flock can and probably will come later. Let them work it out on their own. And provide separate feeding and watering places so there is les chasing. No one gets hurt, that is what is important. All that other stuff will work itself out.

Back
Top Bottom