Will My Chickens Get Too Cold?

Thanks so much Wyododge! Good talking to someone in a similar climate. The blanket idea is perfect. My breeds are good, gonna stop stressing about it. My husband will be so relieved.

Quote:
You don't need to provide any additional heat for them. It really does not get cold enough there for them. I would focus on ventilation and keeping them dry, before I worried about cold. They will play and frolic right through a 7 day cold snap at -10. At -30 they get a bit cranky and fluff up, but they still goof off.

Keep both windows open, you don't want to cover the rafter vents. With an average temperature of 31, you have no worries of cold at all. If it makes you feel better, we will leave our coop essentially wide open till it gets close to 0. Right now we are closing it up to check that our ventilation is working, once I verify that, the window comes out and the shutters remain open all night.

FWIW, my chicks were outside daily and left well into the night at 3 days old (50*). and in the coop at a little over 2 weeks. We followed the advice of a member here named 'ruth'. And would never raise chicks any other way.

clap.gif
Thanks for the advice about the ventilation. We planned on leaving the rafter vent open so there would be air flow. Like I said, my biggest concern was humidity. I also like your "vent testing ideas". Thanks so much

I just wish I had though of it before I did it. I could take credit for being smart for once!!

Ohh well I guess I'd rather stub my toe and find a dollar than walk past it.

Back
Top Bottom