Will my chickens tear up my backyard?

I have almost no experience with chickens except for my two, which I've had for a few weeks now. They are adult hens, so I'm not sure about chicks ... My two hens haven't messed up the back yard at all. Other than digging in the bark mulch which I just push back into the beds.
I do leave my grass long. My mower is set for 3", kind of high for lawn grass. It lets the best of the narrow leaf tender grasses develop seed heads to out compete the ones I don't care for much. I don't use fertilizer or weed killers. Just deep bark to smother out the weeds in the ornamental beds and a mix of sprite, dish soap and water on the lawn to keep it green and keep the soil from getting compacted where we play badminton and games a lot.

I don't think you'll find 2 or 3 chickens destructive. I do keep mine well fed and there is no real competition between them for food. I imagine if they were truly hungry things might be very different around here.

I think you'll be fine with three. Give them a place to dust bath and and outdoor feed and waterer. The only damage our three have done is trample the tulip leaves and poop. I just take the hose to the poop when they do it on an offensive area. It washes right off. But it looks like your neighbors can look right in your backyard... ;-)

Last edited:
Also, remember that chickens are good at flying (unless ou clip their wings). They could fly over that tiny fence with no problem. If they are anything like mine, even if they don't fly over it, they'll enjoy perching on top of it...possibly annoying your neighbors

Yes they will tear up your grass, and your neighbors will probably figure out that you have them. I am a little rebellious
wink.png
I would attempt to keep them if it were me. The small size of your yard, I say make or buy a chicken tractor. It isn't like they would be free ranging in a field if they were loose. And they will eventually fly over to visit your neighbors....dead give away lol. Good Luck

I have a small backyard, smaller than yours. I took chicken wire and posts and fenced off an area for the chickens. They free range in the back yard but roost in yhe enclosed area( technically not enclosed because I leave the gate open all the time). You can't see the chicken wire so it doesn't mess up the view. Most pooping is in the roosting enclosed area.

I say make an enclosure for your hens with a coop. Maybe put it on your gravel Insulate the walls some and it will muffle the sound some in the coop. Even if only straw it will help absorb the sound. Then let them free
range when you are there.

When I did the tractor with two hens, they tore the poo out of the lawn and I moved it every day. Free ranging them works for me.

I'd try it and hopefully no one will say anything.

My chickens are very loud in the mid-morning when they are laying their eggs - especially the Australorps. Lucky for me, our neighbors, who have told me they can hear the chickens (no roosters), don't seem to mind and they are much further away than your neighbors. Hopefully, you get along with your neighbors and can give them some eggs every now and again to keep everyone happy.
Can't comment on how they will treat your lawn. Right now, ours are confined to their run and of course, there's not a blade of grass left in there. I'm building a tractor to let them get a change of scenery now and again because I was afraid to free range them because of our dog, the neighbors cats, the vegetable garden they'd surely destroy, and I didn't want them pooping all over the deck either. Good luck with your chickens.

Here's where our chickens free range......4 foot fence they never even look at let alone fly over.....maybe Wyandottes aren't as destructive but the hose is always out to wash off poop!

They just walk around looking for bugs and such, visit their outdoor feeder and water once in awhile....and poop.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom