Will my chickens use a really huge run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Snegurochka, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've been planning to expand my run from 7X7 to 10X20, thanks to a guy who sold me 5 dog kennel panels for $80 (10 feet long, 6 feet high). I already bought all the hardware cloth, chicken wire for the roof, welded wire skirt, etc. But now he's got 4 more panels he wants to sell me for another $80 (they're in better shape). The way I do the math, when I add on the extra wire, it's going to cost me about $170 more (including the new kennel panels). However, the area will go up from 200 sq. ft. to 525. My only fear is will the chickens actually use all that space? I'm afraid I'll spend the money and build it, and then the chickens will just huddle in one end. To those of you who have big runs, do they put it all to good use? (For reference, I'll eventually have 14 chickens in it, and my coop is about 56 sq. ft. My original intent was to expand so that my Hamburg would have room to run/fly, but most of my birds are calm breeds.)

2. tysonandperdue

tysonandperdue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    New Jersey
    In my opinion, your chickens will use every bit of the space. The more room to run and play the happier they are.

3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    They will love you for it & use every square inch of it happily!! My run is 16x25 w/ space under the coop for shade. They decimated every blade of grass in it w/ in a month, I have 8 girls. Now they are happy to dig holes to try to catch me I think!

4. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I have a 1/4 acre yard and they range across the whole thing. So yes, I expect they would put it to use.

5. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine use most of 2+ acres

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:x2

7. Dun an Oir Hens

Dun an Oir Hens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Rockland, Massachusetts
    we have a 20x20 dog panel run and if I could convince hubby to get some more dog runs and expand I would in a second - they use every bit and we let them out for an hour or so in the evening to range and they line up and wait at the gate calling us to let them out

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Yep, they would use it!! [​IMG]

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:Yup!

10. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    my run is about 25 x 50 and my girls use the whole thing....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by