will my chicks when older if there's no rooster?

It's really amazing how many people think you need a rooster for a hen to lay eggs. I guess it has to do with the fact that they think what's inside the egg is an embryo, not food for an embryo.

Last edited:
When I was talking about getting chickens and not planning on having a roo I had many people tell me that they "knew" that I wouldn't get any eggs without a roo. These were people who grew up on farms and in the country. I now have the satisfaction of proving them wrong. I just received my first egg on Friday from my 17 week old RIR and have been getting an egg a day from her. I still do not have a roo in the bunch.

Quote:
thank ya very much. i love proving my mum wrong....lol, it's a sick pleasure i get i knowing that for all the times she's been right i get one every now and then....i just don't tell her HAHA:lol:

zade11.[/quote :

thank ya very much. i love proving my mum wrong....lol, it's a sick pleasure i get i knowing that for all the times she's been right i get one every now and then....i just don't tell her HAHA:lol:

I know the feeling:D

Quote:
Haven't read the entire thread, that line just made me laugh though. Thanks ~ I needed it today!
big_smile.png

You'd be surprised to know how many people think you need a rooster. Even someone raised on a farm can have that impression! My grandfather (86yo) was surprised to find I wasn't going to have a rooster with my hens when I first got my chicks. He said, "Don't you need a rooster to get eggs?" I very kindly told him no which he seemed surprised by. I figured out that back then everyone had roosters with their hens because they ate their chickens frequently so always needed a roo to make more. It probably never occurred to them that the hens would still lay eggs without one.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom