Will my chinese goose ever be so nice?

GooseyMcGee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
San Diego
He have a one year old Chinese goose named Steve. He isn't extremely aggressive but he can be a jerk sometimes. He'll sometimes charge you if you make him upset. Anyway, my girlfriend and I went to a local lake to see their geese. They only had few. They had two toulouse, a canada, and Chinese goose. They all very big. We have seen Steve get angry so we were a little scared that these big geese could hurt us. To our surprise they were very nice. The gently and gracefully ate the scratch out of hands.

From their size I guessed these geese were a lot older. Should I expect Steve to be a gentle soul in a few year?

No, not if you continue to anthropomorphize. Learn to treat it like a goose, or you can only expect it to get worse, especially next spring.

He have a one year old Chinese goose named Steve. He isn't extremely aggressive but he can be a jerk sometimes. He'll sometimes charge you if you make him upset. Anyway, my girlfriend and I went to a local lake to see their geese. They only had few. They had two toulouse, a canada, and Chinese goose. They all very big. We have seen Steve get angry so we were a little scared that these big geese could hurt us. To our surprise they were very nice. The gently and gracefully ate the scratch out of hands.

From their size I guessed these geese were a lot older. Should I expect Steve to be a gentle soul in a few year?
You're relating to him as a human, and expecting him to behave the same way.

Goosey, to me... ganders are like stallion horses and a year old gander is a yearling stud colt. Ask a horse trainer what they would do if a stud charged and/or bit them, which is commonly referred to as "gentling".

Why do you think I'm not treating him like a goose?

Because if you raised him like a gander and gave him some training, he would not charge at you. Something you've done has made him think that you and he are in the same flock and he wants to be flock master. Something that you are doing makes him think he can dominate you.

Keep in mind that ganders tend to be bullies. They will pick on you and bluff and intimidate, but they are cowards at heart and will back down if you don't allow it. Not much different from your typical schoolyard bully. They can make your life miserable if they know they can get away with it.

Keep in mind that ganders tend to be bullies. They will pick on you and bluff and intimidate, but they are cowards at heart and will back down if you don't allow it. Not much different from your typical schoolyard bully. They can make your life miserable if they know they can get away with it.
You have described my Embden gander to a T.

Such a good reminder! Our gander is a sweet guy so far BUT he is still a baby. We've begun talking to the kids about geese (especially ganders)...respect their space but don't back down. Living with a Rottweiler their whole lives was great training for them! haha!

Back
Top Bottom