Will my duck get SICK?!

Emlpz_

Chirping
May 11, 2021
This morning I was lifting up rocks to hunt worms for the ducks one of the girls were right next to me and as I lifted up the rocks she would eat what was underneath,yes we found lots of worms but there was also a large red centipede and I’m scared that she will get sick because she ate it like it was nothing it was quite large probably around 3 inches long. I’ve read they can be venomous but wouldn’t venom only be enough to kill insects that they eat and not a whole duck?! Someone please tell me she will be all right or A home remedy to help her if she gets sick 😭 she seems fine but keeps lightly closing her eyes I’m not sure if she is happily closing her eyes or in pain closing her eyes

My Speckled Sussex[chicken] caught a mouse this morning and ate it right down.
My son cleaned out his shed 2 days ago and found a rat's nest with 3 baby rats: about the size of house mice, grey fur but eyes closed. He put the tire the nest was in outside the shed [while he had an argument with me about whether or not he could raise the rats himself--no he could not.] The next thing, his little female muscovy was running round with a baby rat in her bill being persued by two pekins that wanted it from her. Then moments later, his pekin hen had found the nest and gobbled down a second rat in a flash.

I really could not believe my eyes! Our gardens are full of little lizards and I have never seen our respective ducks chasing/eating a lizard, but they went for the baby rats!

My ducks joyfully eat little red centipedes all the time. I never considered they might be poisonous and I even point them out when we are out foraging. Since my ducks are 7.5 years and 8.5 years old I guess the ones my ducks eat are ok!

Edit: I live in Washington State, and the ones my ducks eat are about 1-2 inches long.

After my ducks eat something large like a large beetle or a snake they will find somewhere to lay down and close their eyes. I'm assuming it's the equivalent to Thanksgiving dinner for them. As for the centipede, if they are common where you live there is a pretty good chance your ducks have already had several centipede dinners. However, to answer your original question no your duck will not get sick. Many types of poultry love to feast on centipedes and they actually provide some extra nutrition for birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom