will my eggs hatch

genge09

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 30, 2013
I gave my chicken her eggs to sit on and its been almost 4 weeks but still no sign of chicks. The material she is sitting on is soil in a sack,since all my chickens prefer laying eggs on the ground rather than in straw nest.Do you think this could affect the hatchability of the eggs?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! In nature hens would lay and hatch
their eggs on all sorts of things, including soil. Unless the soil was badly contaminated by something, like a chemical, for example, it shouldn't have an effect on the eggs. After 4 weeks the chances of them hatching are pretty much 0%. Would it be possible for you to get some day-old or 2 day-old chicks for her to raise?

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Sorry about your hatch. X2 What Sumi said, hens hatch out chicks all the time in nests based on dirt so dirt as such is not the problem. Hope you are able to find her some chicks.

No the soil was not contaminated,it was just pure dirt.I think that it may not have been warm enough for the eggs or they just weren't fertilized.I'll let her sit on them for a couple of days longer just to be sure.I appreciate your responses guys.

welcome-byc.gif
Do you have a rooster that would have fertilized the eggs? You could also break one or two open and see if there was any development at all. If the eggs start oozing and smelling, carefully get them in a plastic bag so they don't explode on you. Skunks are perfume next to stink eggs.

Back
Top Bottom