Will my flock eventually integrate?

sfurbish

Chirping
May 31, 2016
I have ten eleven week old chicks. I got eight of them as day old chicks and then added two more Buff Orpingtons from the same hatch at nine and a half weeks. I expected the newbies to shake up the pecking order a bit, but although they all do roost together the new BOs are constantly harassed during waking hours and spend most of their time keeping a good distance from their would-be flock mates. There is no serious violence, but I've heard that in these situations the new chicks might never fully integrate and could remain outsiders. Anyone have any luck with birds this young coming together as a flock. They spend most of their time in a 15' x 30' run but occasionally free range with supervision as we have a heavy predator population this year. They were segregated for the first five days for their own safety, but once turned loose with the flock they pretty much just stick with each other to avoid getting pecked.

They will more than likely remain outsiders for a while yet, I would expect until after they are sexually mature and most are laying. They will probably always be best friends too. It sounds like you have the best conditions for them. Younger birds are constantly trying to establish and work out the pecking order so there can be what appears to be more squabbling and occasional bullying behaviors. As adults they are usually better behaved as long as they aren't crowded, or pressed for room.

I forgot to add, welcome to Backyard Chickens.
1f600.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard with us. It seems that you have done everything right and you already have some good advice. I'd suggest having multiple feed stations may ease tensions, but even then, the young ones will be put in their place by the older ones - thats chicken society.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
CT

Thanks CT,

I guess I thought that it would be a little smoother with them all being the same age. Seems even somewhat young chickens take their pecking order very seriously. Fortunately, the new ones are sensible enough to avoid the main flock at the feeders and waterers. they just wait their turn and do their own thing.

No. I have 2 Black Australorps, 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Barred Rock and 3 Buff Orpingtons. Things have calmed considerably since they were first introduced, but for the most part it's like one large flock and one mini flock consisting of the two newer BOs. Incidentally, the Buff Orpington from the original flock is pretty high on the pecking order and when one of the Sussex chickens fresh off bullying the new guys mistakenly took a swipe at her she went a little bezerk and the bully has avoided all of the BOs since. It was kinda satisfying to watch
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom