will my hens start to lay with the reduction in daylight

Tecalli

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
State College, PA
I've got 3 girls (a barred rock, orphington, and amerecuna) that are now 20 weeks old. None have laid an egg yet. I've read on this site that hens need 14 hours of daylight in order to lay eggs. I've also read the various pros and cons of adding artificial light and have decided not to add any. We are now getting about 11 hours of daylight daily and that will continue to decline. Does that mean they probably won't lay till next spring when the daylight hours increase? Or, can I expect an egg or two this fall? Thanks.

There's really no way to know for sure. I've had some that were 30+ weeks that laid in January to start off. Others, not until the next spring. I don't add artificial light either; I don't like to mess with mother nature (too much!). It's actually much better for them to begin later, because the younger they start, the more chance for laying problems such as prolapse and egg bound later on.

I don't know, but I have that exact same set of 3 - how weird is that.
big_smile.png
Mine are older though and have been laying for a while (except the Amerecuna, who just started last week)

Thanks Wynette! If its actually healthier for them to wait then I don't mind not getting any eggs. That info has added greatly to my patience level.

Hang in there! The other thing I've found is that the later they start, the larger the eggs are...at least, that's what it seems to me! The two I raised that began at 32 and 34 weeks were the only ones I've ever had that laid Jumbo-sized eggs on a regular basis. These were EEs, not true Ameraucanas. But, they always laid huge eggs, and the only reason I could think of is because they started laying later.

Back
Top Bottom