Will my metal nesting lockers be to cold?

ShannyG

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
East Tn
Inside of a big wooden box I am using 4 old metal lockers as nest boxes. On the other side of the barn I can open the locker door and get my eggs. It working great, however I was wondering if the metal lockers will be a problem this winter. Since they are inside the box they are always dry. I have air holes on the side of the wooden box for ventilation. I blocked 2 of the locker compartments off (green lids) to keep them from sleeping in the nest boxes. Will the vent holes be ok when the temps drop since that’s where my nest boxes are located. When it’s really cold will the ysleep/roost CD9E852E-C9B2-4BE2-861E-D4931B856DD7.jpeg 44ED8856-13B7-4413-A101-3F135ADADAEE.jpeg inside the wooden box under the nest boxes?
I built a roof over a dog kennel and covered wall 2 ft at bottom and top with chicken wire and have no issues with predators. I will put something around the kennel when it gets really cold (No access to electric) Should I leave a section at the top or bottom open for ventilation? They usually free roam from 3pm till bedtime.

When its cold for the night, the chickens may decide to go into the wooden box.
They also will most-likely crowd into the nest-boxes, because they are at higher level.
If you don't want them sleeping in those nests, then move them down, and fashion a roost above the nest boxes.
WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Will the vent holes be ok when the temps drop since that’s where my nest boxes are located.

Don't you live somewhere warm-ish?

How low does it get there?

When it’s really cold will they sleep/roost
inside the wooden box under the nest boxes?

Do they sleep there now?

Back
Top Bottom