Will my Roosters mount my Turkey hens?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

ok.. I'll give it a try and see how it goes

With turkeys it's hens choice on mating, first the hen would have to lay down for the chicken roo. In all our years of raising turkeys never seen that happen. A tom turkey will stand on the hens back until she lifts her tail feathers and then finish.

We have chickens and turkeys and ducks and geese and peafowl and guineas all sharing pens to date never any sort of mix.

Steve in NC

I can't answer your question of a chicken mating a turkey, but one of my co-workers had a chicken and duck mate. It looked like a chicken with webbed feet.

I've never seen a rooster try to mate a turkey hen, but I know some of them will try to mate anything that'll hold still. From what that article said, it seems possible, but very unlikely, than any viable embryos would result if he did manage to mate one of them.

I'd be more concerned about Tom turkeys trying to mate chickens. I knew somebody with a Tom that nearly killed several of her hens, he was so big, and turkeys stand on top of the turkey hens, treading their backs. He just about squashed those little chicken girls. Tore up one hen's back up down to the bone, poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom