1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will my spoiled chicken be mean to a new chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowgirl11, May 15, 2011.

1. cowgirl11

cowgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    hi everyone,
    i have a single rhode island red hen, she's a year old, and she is spoiled. she bosses the dogs around, comes inside to eat snacks and gets all the attention. i'd like to get one more chicken but i'm not sure if she would get use to it? any advice?

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Good luck!

I suggest adding more than one. And not a chick, at least 3 mos old when the introductions take place. Get ready for ruffled feathers.

3. mlyon

mlyon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    She would but it will take a while. My chicken Roxie was very spoiled we built her a coop and run. She has had it all to herself . We got 5 new girls to put in the coop. Three we got as day old chicks. Two of them we got at 3 months old. When the three youngest ones were 10 weeks old out in the coop they all went. so we added 5 new girls to the queen roxie's coop/run. Can I say what a bully Roxie was. She'd chase them out of the coop. She'd chase them in the coop. Funny thing is they are all bigger than her and could kick her butt. But they didn't. They have been outside in the coop for 3 to 4 weeks and Roxie has just started to allow them near her. Then again she is molting for the first time. Most definetly get more than one bird to add to your one an only. And make sure they are old enough to get away from your one and only. Chances are she will not be nice at first!!

4. ClaytonHowell

ClaytonHowell Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Mean, most likely until they get acquainted to each other. I doubt it will result in death, more than likely just some missing feathers for a few months. There is safety in numbers though, Add a half a dozen or so and she will be the timid one.

5. cowgirl11

cowgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    thanks for all the help! i really only want one more.. but looks like i'd need more than one? i'll have to rethink it.

6. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Definitely get 2 birds. If you just get one, that poor little girl will get all the aggression. At least if you have 2 new birds, they can pal around together until everyone gets used to each other.

If you're getting older birds, remember to quarantine the newbies for 30 days.

Sonia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by