Will noise or vibration effect hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crowsnestfarms, Mar 15, 2013.

1. crowsnestfarms

crowsnestfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am in the middle of a project where I am converting a side by side refrigerator into an incubator. My design is based on the ideas shared here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/fridge-incubator with a few changes. I am using a small squirrel cage fan to force air circulation through the freezer side and back through return holes at the bottom. I have the fan installed but when I plugged it in to test it out it worked OK but I noticed it was kind of noisy. The noise is not outrageously loud but is definitely louder than the PC fans and such that I see being used on other home brew incubator projects. My question is: Will this noise and the small amount of vibration involved effect hatching? The fan seems to be working great otherwise and I want to stay with it if it won't adversely affect my future hatch rates with this incubator. Any ideas or advice will be appreciated.

2. crowsnestfarms

Mar 10, 2013
    Northeast Arkansas
    I could really use some input here from some of you more experienced guys and gals! Thanks!

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    It's common for these type of fans to be noisy. The slight vibration is from being slightly of-balance but wont affect operation. I don't think the noise or the vibration will hurt anything. You might try oiling the fan/motor bearings to see if it would help it run smoother. It wouldn't take but a drop of something like 3 in 1 oil . Sometimes these motors cannot be lubricated, but sometimes there is small openings near the bearings that allow for oil.

4. crowsnestfarms

Mar 10, 2013
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks for your reply! I had already checked the motor bearings and it is a sealed type and cannot lubricate them. The noise is not a problem to us as long as it doesn't adversely affect whether our eggs hatch or not. Got the fan in place then today and did some wiring for the lights so it will have heat. Also cut out the hole in the door and I am trying to put glass over it but it looks like the adhesive I bought is not gonna work so I may have to try something else there. I am also gonna have to make repairs on the door seal for the fridge side. I can't wait to get it all together so I can start adjusting things on it and get it ready for action. Up to 4 eggs a day now from 7 girls and expect more than that when the weather warms a little more.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  5. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Good thinking on the motor bearings. I love those sealed bearings. There supposed to be lubricated "for life" However, whose life? I seen them go in 6 months while others go for years
    Have you tried "Double back tape" It has adhesive on both sides, It's a tape used by wood workers to hold pieces of wood together while the saw, drill or rout it.
    It would hold the glass in place until you adhesive took hold.

6. crowsnestfarms

Mar 10, 2013
    Northeast Arkansas
    Believe it or not all I had to do was tape the glass up with clear carton sealing tape. lol Why didn't we think of that sooner? I know what you mean about the life of the bearings, I will be keeping a close watch on it. I now need to repair the door seal on the fridge side, I don't think one 75 watt bulb will be heating this bad boy! lol Thank you for all your advice and input. You are much appreciated!

7. crowsnestfarms

Mar 10, 2013
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ended up using Gorilla glue to put the glass on the door. Now working on repairs to the door seal and cutting out the plastic on the inside of the door so we can see through the glass once it is all put back together. Can't wait to get to that point so I can start making adjustments and get it ready for use! Already having eggs that will need to be set soon!

8. newgoosegal

newgoosegal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    I'd LOVE to here how this genius design concept works for you! We've got a few old fridges....

9. crowsnestfarms

Mar 10, 2013
    Northeast Arkansas
    I have the whole thing finished to the point I can heat it up and start tweaking the thermostat setting and making air flow and spacing adjustments. Hopefully, I can get it all dialed in over the weekend because I am gonna have a couple of dozen of eggs I need to set. I can keep you updated on my progress with it if you are interested.

10. newgoosegal

newgoosegal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Yes please, if you have time- no hurry, this would be a next winter project for the following spring. Good luck with your hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by