Will olive eggs get more green over time?

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
I was reading that brown laying hens eggs gets lighter as they age as they tend to run out of the pigment which is applied to the egg that gives it the brown on a white egg (blue for olive egg).
If this is true will my olive eggers eggs get more green over time? Her first two eggs were a beautiful army green colour but her third one is a lighter shade, more than, maybe because of more bloom? It also lost the dark brown speckles by the third one 😭 The are slightly more green in person.(see second picture of first egg laid)
I haven't cracked one open to see if they are even blue inside yet.

Any insight?

Attachments

• 1000007735.jpg
    1000007735.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 1000007728.jpg
    1000007728.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 51
I have one Olive Egger. Her eggs have basically stayed the same shade since she started laying. Some days, her eggs do have more bloom than others, thus making her eggs look lighter, but her eggs have stayed the same. Your eggs might fluctuate some, but they'll stay in their basic range of color without much change.

Over the course of a season eggs generally get lighter overall as birds run out of pigment.

Over the course of their lives... hmm, good question. I only have one OE but I can't recall how dark her eggs were when she was a pullet, vs now as a hen.

Back
Top Bottom