Will our setup be safe for 20 pullets?

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2019
We will be getting 20 baby chicks in September (praying that they all will be pullets since we can't find juvenile chickens anywhere and have to order babies) and we're wondering if our coop/run idea will be safe enough?

We have a roughly 800 to 1,000 square foot area that we can devote to the chickens, but we are on a shoestring budget and could never afford the hardware cloth needed to fully fence that area in. So, our plan is this: build an 8x8 coop with an 8x20 attached run. Both of these would be fully enclosed in hardware cloth from top to bottom with heavy duty tarps for rain protection and shade along with a 2 foot wide apron all around the bottom. Then, we would take several dog kennel panels that we already have on hand and construct a big pen area that would be attached to the coop and run that would make up the majority of the above mentioned square footage. That area would have 2x4 welded wire all across the top that would be braced throughout with some 4x4 posts, and the panels themselves would remain as is except for the hardware cloth that we would run up the bottom 3 feet of each panel to prevent predators from reaching through and would also have an apron all around using the 2x4 welded wire. We are always home so we can watch them during the day when they're out in this big pen area and they would always be locked up in the coop at night. On days that we have to be gone for errands and such, they would only be allowed to use the attached hardware cloth run and not have access to the big pen since we wouldn't be able to supervise them.

Thoughts?

Ideally in an 8x8 you would want no more than 16 chickens. However I have 18 in my 8x8 they are 11-16 weeks old right now and I ended up with too many roosters so we are waiting to see how behaviors go but we will be rehoming 1 or 2 roosters to our neighbor.
I think if they have lots of time outside of the coop in a large enough area you will be fine. I don’t have any food or water in my coop it’s all outside in the run so they can have as much space as possible. Most important make sure you have lots of ventilation!!!!

Ideally in an 8x8 you would want no more than 16 chickens. However I have 18 in my 8x8 they are 11-16 weeks old right now and I ended up with too many roosters so we are waiting to see how behaviors go but we will be rehoming 1 or 2 roosters to our neighbor.
I think if they have lots of time outside of the coop in a large enough area you will be fine. I don’t have any food or water in my coop it’s all outside in the run so they can have as much space as possible. Most important make sure you have lots of ventilation!!!!

I should have clarified more about the coop. It's not a typical coop as in it being one built from lumber like what you would think of when it comes to a coop. Hopefully that makes sense. It'll actually look more like a run because it'll just be wood and hardware cloth like how a run is built, but have tarped sides and a top which will allow for plenty of ventilation and weather protection. It'll also be 6 feet tall, so it'll be 8x8x6 which should allow for plenty of room

I should have clarified more about the coop. It's not a typical coop as in it being one built from lumber like what you would think of when it comes to a coop. Hopefully that makes sense. It'll actually look more like a run because it'll just be wood and hardware cloth like how a run is built, but have tarped sides and a top which will allow for plenty of ventilation and weather protection. It'll also be 6 feet tall, so it'll be 8x8x6 which should allow for plenty of room
What kind of climate are you in? Hot? Cold? Rain? Snow load?

I worry about tarps busting if holding a bunch of rainwater, or snow, or high winds...

Nice that you are thinking of a full height coop, but an 8x8 coop, even tall one, is still 8x8.

If you are building a secure coop run combo, the 8x8 with an 8x20 should work, if that 8x20 is fully roofed so it is accessible at all times.

Back
Top Bottom