Will pullets spar?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CESOrtega, Sep 14, 2009.

1. CESOrtega

CESOrtega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    I've got 3 babies...probably around 4-6 weeks old. During the afternoon I take them to a fenced in 5 ft x 5 ft square of land and let them run and play. Today they were jetting all over the place, flapping their wings and having dust baths. I noticed several times they would run at each other, stand up as far as they could reach, and bump chests. Is this an early attempt at sparring? These are supposed to be girls...do girls do that? They never hurt each other, it seemed more like they were testing their boundaries. You know how kids are.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    mine do.

3. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Mine do too- it seems to be part of their deciding who's going to be "top dog". They've never seriously hurt each other. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have a RIR pullet that spars with the roo--every time he tries to mount her! She comes up, with her neck stretched as high as it will go--feathers ruffled and tries to kick him in the chest!!! She is laying now and she still does it!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It is hen pecking! Setting the pecking order. Kinda reminds me a drunken men at a super bowl party.

6. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have all girls and they do that- then one will jump/fly right over the other. Not sure which one wins when that happens- then they go about their business as before - they are hilarious [​IMG]

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

my little girls have been doing that constantly lately.... its so funny!! 8 weeks old and they flap flap flap and THUNK chest to chest lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by