Will pullets start laying or is it late in the season

Thank you, My oldest ones I have where day old chicks in May, so I hopeful
It's OK, just keep the amount down...can't tell ya exactly how much is 'OK'...but they are quite fatty.
With feeding a 20% feed, scratch grains would be another 'treat' to give...again in moderation.
I just finished the coop this past weekend, I have divided it in half to keep the younger pullets separated until they get bigger then I will remove the center wall just a few pics that's 6' X14' each side (16 on one side and 14 on the other side) I also have an area to store stuff and an area for injuried or broody, I am still working on the run
images.jpeg
Feedroom of A124 (1).jpg
20191029_092702.jpg

Last edited:
I live in northern Minnesota and have 29 pullets and 4 cockerels, they are 4 months 3 weeks old and 5 of my Pullets are laying. My Calico princess started laying at 3 1/2 months old, my Midnight Majesty Marans at 4 months old and one Easter Egger started 4 days ago. Here is a photo. I hope they get larger eggs when they are adults. The Marans are not that dark, I may order some Black Copper Marans some day.View attachment 1946364
Beautiful eggs thank you

Thank you, My oldest ones I have where day old chicks in May, so I hopeful

I just finished the coop this past weekend, I have divided it in half to keep the younger pullets separated until they get bigger then I will remove the center wall just a few pics that's 6' X14' each side (16 on one side and 14 on the other side) I also have an area to store stuff and an area for injuried or broody, I am still working on the run
View attachment 1946995 View attachment 1946996 View attachment 1946997
That is one awesome coop!

Thanks for this thread! Most of my pullets are just over 20 weeks old and I was wondering the same thing. Wattles and combs are starting to brighten and they have been checking out the nesting boxes for at least a month. My cockerel of the same age has also started mating with them, but no squatting from them yet.

I wondered if they’d wait til spring but I live on the Central Coast of California so our winters are very mild (it freezes from time to time but doesn’t snow) and hoped that wouldn’t be a deterrent for them.
Ok...we are in freezing NW PA. No change in color for my 14 weepers. No sign of even flirting....I don’t even have nesting boxes made for them..because we were going to transfer them with the big chickens...should we keep them separate because we have 1 rooster there..who’s days are numbered..and 5 cockerels which we wanted to pick the best? The timing of this thread is great

Back
Top Bottom