Will pullets start laying or is it late in the season

really with pullets, anything goes... I've gotten a first egg in November, December, and February from birds before. Though I found that in winter egg laying was pretty sporadic and the girls that started up in winter would only lay 1-2 eggs a week when they averaged closer to 5 (or more) in summer.

Last edited:
Ok...we are in freezing NW PA. No change in color for my 14 weepers. No sign of even flirting....I don’t even have nesting boxes made for them..because we were going to transfer them with the big chickens...should we keep them separate because we have 1 rooster there..who’s days are numbered..and 5 cockerels which we wanted to pick the best? The timing of this thread is great

Eeeep! I don’t know if I’d be the best person to answer this question... My flock has been outside since they were 6 weeks old, but that was in the middle of July and I put their heat lamp in there for about a week just to be safe, but again, the weather here is much milder. Maybe someone with more experience might know ...

Ok...we are in freezing NW PA. No change in color for my 14 weepers. No sign of even flirting....I don’t even have nesting boxes made for them..because we were going to transfer them with the big chickens...should we keep them separate because we have 1 rooster there..who’s days are numbered..and 5 cockerels which we wanted to pick the best? The timing of this thread is great
Iam not to experience, but I have been keeping my cockels separate from my pullets and my younger pullets (10 weeks and younger) separated from my 24/25 week olds until they get about the same size. Hope this is some help.

1 of my pullets (I believe, but all 5 are showing signs of maturity) has started to lay. They turned 20 weeks old yesterday. She started laying at 18 weeks and 1 day old. In this time, she's laid a total of 5 eggs. I was wondering the same thing as you, especially with the sun rising at 7:30 and setting by 6:15. That's not a lot of daylight. I did put them on layer feed once I collected the first egg. They have access to all flock feed every day, as my bachelor Flock is locked in the run overnight and if I am working (boys eat all flock). The chances are still good that you might get some eggs before spring!

1 of my pullets (I believe, but all 5 are showing signs of maturity) has started to lay. They turned 20 weeks old yesterday. She started laying at 18 weeks and 1 day old. In this time, she's laid a total of 5 eggs. I was wondering the same thing as you, especially with the sun rising at 7:30 and setting by 6:15. That's not a lot of daylight. I did put them on layer feed once I collected the first egg. They have access to all flock feed every day, as my bachelor Flock is locked in the run overnight and if I am working (boys eat all flock). The chances are still good that you might get some eggs before spring!
What kind are they? Mine are NHR

Ok,but, I read for our breed, it takes 6 mths..we are super busy building our 3rd barn for our rabbits,ducks,pot belly pigs and goats....just got electric and water yesterday..so..will they lay without nesting boxes, or do I need to tell Chris to stop what he’s doing to make nesting boxes for two hens?

I know that 1 of my Barred Rocks is laying. I have five 20 week old pullets (they're in their own flock) which are 2 Barred Rocks, 2 SLWyandotte's, and 1 Buff Orpington. The Buff Orpington does not seem to be as close to laying but I have read that the larger breeds, like this, tend to lay a bit later.

Ok,but, I read for our breed, it takes 6 mths..we are super busy building our 3rd barn for our rabbits,ducks,pot belly pigs and goats....just got electric and water yesterday..so..will they lay without nesting boxes, or do I need to tell Chris to stop what he’s doing to make nesting boxes for two hens?

I wasn't expecting to have any eggs at this age because they're all bigger breeds, but it varies. In birds bred to be high producers, they can start early, but it varies bird to bird, from my experience. My layer, "Sue", is a petite girl, even compared to my other Barred Rock Pullet that is the same age.
AS far as making the nesting box, it might be a good idea even if it gives the girls a chance to get familiar with the box and see the fake eggs in there. So far, all of my eggs (not that I have many) have been laid in 1 nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom