Will pullets start laying or is it late in the season

I have in group 1 - Buff Orpingtons, Silver laced Wyandotte, gold laced wyandottes and leghorns; total of 8.
Group 2 - Plymouth barred rocks, black Australorps and black Jersey gaints; total of 8
Group 3 - white rocks, lavender Orphingtons and a barred rock; total of 6
Group 4 - slw, blrw, blue langshan and lavender Orphingtons; total of 8 and a total of 30, the groups are by age and group 1 is the oldest at 20 to 25 weeks old.

you sound exactly like me lol and mine are about to lay as well I can’t wait but I’m in a cold climate it’s 24 tonight already.

First year pullets for some reason, aren't really as sensitive to the days shortening as hens past their 1st or 2nd winter. Yours could start laying anytime, there's no rule when they start, it's apparently only when they feel like it. My pullets from last year (May hatch) didn't start laying until December and January but the last one held out until March. (she was 10 months old!)

If you plan to keep your cockerel, it would be best to skip layer feed entirely and go with Flock Raiser or All Flock instead. It's a complete feed appropriate for mixed genders and ages. Just be sure to offer oyster shell in a separate container for the girls... layers need a surprising amount of calcium to produce an egg.

Wowww I’ve never heard this before and I have a cockerel also and I’ve just been feeding them all layer feed

I have 8 pullets ( 20 to 25weeks old) that their crowns and waddles are turning red, but is it to late in the year for them to start laying?
I am still feeding them a 20% grower feed (available all the time) with alfalfa and black sunflower seeds as treats twice a week. Thank you for any advice and comments.
I have 25 wk old buffs. They started laying this week. My 3 Ameraucanas same age have not started laying yet. I'm in Fl

I have 8 pullets ( 20 to 25weeks old) that their crowns and waddles are turning red, but is it to late in the year for them to start laying?
I am still feeding them a 20% grower feed (available all the time) with alfalfa and black sunflower seeds as treats twice a week. Thank you for any advice and comments.
I am wondering the same thing. My birds are 5 1/2 to 6 months old and no eggs yet. I think they may be really close and I pray they lay at least one soon!

I am wondering the same thing. My birds are 5 1/2 to 6 months old and no eggs yet. I think they may be really close and I pray they lay at least one soon!
I guess we must have patience but they will start laying, it just seems like it takes awhile. One of my leghorns layed an egg yesterday and today, but I am still waiting on the rest to start, too.

I love mine, and that's what I'm going to be basically breeding over here, and working toward's the cleaner neck's on them. Yes, they are character's, and each have their own personality.
They surprised me with their tolerance to cold, stress, etc. considering the open skin. I have one who has zero feathers around her neck and she looks a little odd since the rest have beautiful feather ruffs surrounding the front neck. Are you trying to get that type of appearance as opposed to the feathers?

Because I have such a mix of different hens, it’s been fun to watch the progression in laying. They were all hatched June 10. I have started getting a daily egg from one of the 17 hens but I can tell they are going to start any time now. They are adopting that squatting motion when I place my hands by their backs- it’s a dead giveaway. So, the barnyard chicken we inherited was the first to go, the next two will be the Super Blue Egg Layers. We have already had ongoing freezing night temps and some light snow 2 days ago. They have an outside run but I also keep plate heaters inside the hens coop areas so they can stay warm. I do not add any artificial lighting because I read that it was better to let them follow their natural cycles throughout the year, and I definitely do not rely on any egg production so that makes pressuring them not necessary. The one thing I do know? As soon as you think they won’t be producing an egg, one will pop up in the oddest of places! lol

Duckfarmer1
For just a few hens you can use a five gallon bucket on its side on a small rack to elevate. Cut the removed top to about 2-3" and put the small piece back on to keep the eggs from rolling out. Put in some bedding of choice. Straw, shavings etc. I had 16 of these for several years. My hens loved them. They were easy to remove and clean. I finally got some roll away nests to replace them.
Oh we know how to make nesting boxes...oh..you mean..instead of making a rack..ok..cool....I’ll tell the hubby but, I know him, he’d rather build than lose one of his buckets..even though we have a million...he was a contractor...lol...but thanks,that’s a great idea

Back
Top Bottom