Will replacing your rooster make your hen flocks merge?

Do the new hens have bright red combs? That's usually a sign that they should be laying eggs. If their combs are dark or dull looking they won't be as attractive in a rooster's eyes. :rant
Oh their combs are even brighter than my laying hens' which is why I think it's odd.. regardless I decided won't be replacing my rooster and I will give myself more time to try and cure his egg eating habit. I will attach pics of my new girls tomorrow because it's too dark for me to take pics of them right now.

I have been feeding my flock high protein and calcium feed. Besides their feed, I have been feeding them the occasional tuna, nuts, scrambled eggs, chicken safe veggies and fruit, and cooked beans. I don't think there is a problem with their diet.

Some folk told me that if I were to cover the nest so it's darker it would help my case. I did that and his egg eating habit has declined, but it is still there. He eats less eggs now but the ones laid near the opening of the nest where he can see are eaten the moment he sees them.
If that is the case, then that Rooster needs to find the chopping block. Time for a new Rooster regardless of the Flock situation. That will sort itself with time. 2 weeks is not even close to enough time. Likely needs like 2 months, IMO.
I currently have a similar situation, minus the egg eating. But my “sub-Flock” is immature pullets. They are getting closer to maturity now so my Cockerel has begun to pay them more attention - it’s been 2 months for me. I still have 2 distinct groups of birds. I expect that in about 4 weeks or so, they will be a single group.

Last edited:
I'll second the diet change and the '3 weeks is nothing'.
Your first birds came all together so less stress than for the new ones having to integrate.
Where are you located in this wide world?
Putting your location in your profile can help immensely.
Day length could also be having an affect.

Hope you keep us updated....Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

I'll second the diet change and the '3 weeks is nothing'.
Your first birds came all together so less stress than for the new ones having to integrate.
Where are you located in this wide world?
Putting your location in your profile can help immensely.
Day length could also be having an affect.

Hope you keep us updated....Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
Thank you for the advice! I am going to wait it out until my sub flock merges with my main flock.

my roo hasn't eaten eggs in 3 days (hurray!) so I no longer really want to replace him. It seems that darkening the nest has helped. He's a really calm and cuddly roo besides his egg eating habit and I find myself getting attached to him with time.

Oh, and I updated my my profile, thanks for recommending that :) . I live in Dubai.

Here are the promised pics of my new girls. Sorry that the pics aren't clear; the girls haven't clicked with me yet and so I couldn't get close enough to take a good pic.
25674100_878700728965502_2143903100_n.jpg 25674346_878700322298876_1856668435_n.jpg

Can you get them to come in closer for photographs. I would like to see condition of feathers? Molt cycle / seasons impact integration, as does age disparities of birds of different subflocks.

Back
Top Bottom