Will roosters constantly fight?

I have 4 roos with 23 hens who free range dawn till they go to roost. The 2 top roos get their morning spat out of the way and each seems to have hens who want to be with one or the other. The other 2 don't even factor in yet. One of those will be hitting the road as soon as I see what they're made of. We also have a cochin roo who rarely mingles. I can't get rid of him because it is my wife's Baby. So it is going to be interesting. All are 3 days shy of 17wks.

Quote:
If one of your roos that is fighting has killed before, I don't think they are going to stop. I would either cull the aggressive roo or keep them separate from now on. I would never hatch chicks from a roo that has killed other birds. That is a trait that I wouldn't want passed on.

Good luck!

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I was getting a little concerned when I was reading and didn't see these words until this post! I would NEVER keep a killer chicken in with any other chicken. All birds have the potential to kill another, but when or if it happens, that's it. I would have gotten rid of that rooster straight away and kept the one who doesn't kill. Just as well, the roo to hen ratio is 1 to 9-10. You'd need roughly 20 hens to keep both roosters happy, and even then, there is still a great chance that they will fight and your lower ranking rooster could die.

Back
Top Bottom