will round up hurt chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tinyscrafts, Sep 18, 2009.

1. tinyscrafts

tinyscrafts Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Lakewood
    I'm thinking of completely redoing my yard. I'm trying to plan my attack.
    In all this thinking I need to find a way to kill crab grass. Would round up hurt the chickens? It's an herbicide... I might call the company, but would they even know?? [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My DH uses it several times a year around our property, but we JUST got chickens, so they're not even outside yet. I was planning on reading the bottle this weekend to check danger info.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd be careful... I think there is a warning about keeping the stuff you spray away from animals.

4. Lynn57

Lynn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    According to the experts here at the unniversity...after using round up all stock should be kept off the sprayed areas for 10 days. Then after that you are good to go.

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I have a friend whose pet sheep ate a little Roundup sprayed grass and died. I would seriously keep your chickens away from it.

6. briznian

briznian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Davis County, UT
    I haven't heard of Round Up staying in the soil that long either. According to the MSDS sheets Round Up has a 2-174 Day half-life in the soil. So Round Up *could* be latent in the soil for anywhere from 2 days to half a year.

Additionally Round Up is toxic to Avian specie for 5 days after spraying being "No more than slightly toxic", whatever that means. To me, that means that I would try to keep my hens away from the killed grass after the five day period, but if they did get on the grass I don't think I would panic.

This is on page 7 of the MSDS.

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/ag_pro … x_msds.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by