Will Round up hurt the chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a toxicologist, I have to say that I would not let any of my animals near round-up. There is a very high incidence of cancers (mostly bladder) from people who routinely use roundup such as golf course keepers and farmers. I wouldn't let my animals (or kids) near it. I wouldn't use it myself routinely (I guess I could justify it for poison ivy.) and I would wear gloves when I did apply it.

Quote:
violent-smiley-003.gif

I feel attacked, but if you want to come visit I will buy the gas and whacker string, and you can spend 2 weeks whacking or I will buy the roundup, and fill the 18 gallon sprayer twice and be done in 2 hours.

I would think running a 2 cycle engine for hours on end would damage the environment as much, or the use of propane, I have the big bottle from the grill the little screw on would not be very cost effective either.

You know there was another on here that recomended using a torch to get rid of cobwebs in HER barn too, now what was that TALE ??
violent-smiley-063.gif

MD, I don't think anyone means a personal attack, I would just be very cautious around animals with herbicides. I work for the govt. and can tell you that regulations are based on a lot of things besides the best science.

Protect yourself, and your loved ones (animals included) when it comes to herbicides.

A torch would work great. The old fashion way would be use a shovel. It would be hard, but nice exercise. I wouldn't use round up. What are you trying to kill along the fence line? Is it grass or a certain weed?
Depending on where you live the round up may not work this time of year b/c the ground has to be a certain temp. Another thing is the plant has to be actively growing and not dormant to use on it. The plant takes the round up systemically through the leaves to the roots to kill it. If your chickens did eat the plant that took up the round up and it was still in the plant it wouldn't be good. Even though they say it's safe to use there are so many warnings about keeping your pets away for certain period of time. You are suppose to wear long sleeve, goggle, glooves and wash your clothes seperately when you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom