Will scaly leg mites return

Chickenfarts

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
I received a (rescue hen) that was poorly taken care of. She has/had scaly leg mites and lice really bad which I have been treating. It's been a week a have applied Vaseline to her feet twice and permethrin powder (I believe) to her feathers for the lice, also 4 drops of Ivermectin for the leg mites (once). She has never been in contact with my flock and is staying in her own rabbit hutch until better. I allow her to free range but not where my other hens are or can go. My main question is will I ever be able to integrate her with my flock without chance of spreading leg mites to them?

They will/can return.You could get rid of them now,and they could return within another 2 weeks,keep all supplies on hand,and make sure everyone will have dust bathing areas.Once you have tooken care o the problem she should be good to introduce her,but spray is much stronger and effective,use pemrithian spray.Powder is dusty and doesn't work as fast. Permithian spray is what I think a 24 hour killer.

Yes I have been reading a lot about it for the past week or so. So basically if I decide to introduce this hen to my flock I will most likely be exposing them to leg mites down the road? Not what I was hoping to hear but thank you for your help.

Um not exactly,you may not have a problem if your hen is completely free of all lice and eggs and mites and eggs.

Eventually any owner of a bird will have to deal with mites or lice down the road.

Um not exactly,you may not have a problem if your hen is completely free of all lice and eggs and mites and eggs.

Eventually any owner of a bird will have to deal with mites or lice down the road.

I've had chickens for 7 years and i've had a lice here in there but never really that bad. Leg mites scare me as they are much harder to get rid of and can be debilitating to chickens. I may just keep her separated for a couple months and see how she does

It only gets serious when it goes uncared for,or unseen,good owners check their birds every so often,where ever you got her from,dont get them from there again.

Scaly mite I have heard have been very much easier to get rid of,heard many other things are harder.just keep applying Vaseline everyday. I'm dealing with and lice and leg mites right now as well.

Back
Top Bottom