1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will Seven Dust make eggs unedible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heartforchickens, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    I have an ant problem in and around my coop. They come from pine trees and are menacing to say the least. I have 14 girls on the verge of laying. I found ants in the nest boxes a few days ago and sprinkled the shavings with Seven Dust to get rid of them. Tried DE first, but that didn't work. When they begin to lay, will the eggs be edible since they will come in contact with some of the Seven? Does anyone know a tried and true method of keeping ants away?

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your eggs will be completely edible. Just wash the Sevin off with hot water.

The tried and true method to keep ants away is Sevin dust!

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Yuck. To each his own though!

4. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    I agree! No Way!!!

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles

x2 just wash them before you eat them. They are fine.

6. They're safe as long as you rinse them. I used Sevin when I had a lice problem (it's all better now, thanks to Sevin :D), and the eggs were fine. I just made sure they didn't get sold, just to be sure.

~~~Ms.B :)

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You might find it unappetizing, but there's no objective harm to it. The Sevin doesn't penetrate the egg, so if the eggs are washed, they'll be fine.

8. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    when I am trying to be as organic as possible sevin is far from being safe eve in my garden and vineyard - it is used only if needed for a certain situation. But I know what i am ingesting and at what time after application. but you cannot control inhalation and other forms of absorption by the chickens and in a coop or nesting box. but like the other member said - to each his/her own.

9. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    Thanks to all for your advice. I am undecided at this point and will ponder it a little further.

10. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I have had problems with ants in the nesting boxes too. I just clean out all the bedding and wipe out the box with wet paper towels, let dry and refill. It's a lot of work but worth it. I don't put anything but bedding (and chickens) in the boxes. I use poultry dust around outside of coop. Works great but we've had a lot of rain so I'm having to use more often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by