Will Seven Dust make eggs unedible?

Heartforchickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
South Alabama
I have an ant problem in and around my coop. They come from pine trees and are menacing to say the least. I have 14 girls on the verge of laying. I found ants in the nest boxes a few days ago and sprinkled the shavings with Seven Dust to get rid of them. Tried DE first, but that didn't work. When they begin to lay, will the eggs be edible since they will come in contact with some of the Seven? Does anyone know a tried and true method of keeping ants away?

I have an ant problem in and around my coop. They come from pine trees and are menacing to say the least. I have 14 girls on the verge of laying. I found ants in the nest boxes a few days ago and sprinkled the shavings with Seven Dust to get rid of them. Tried DE first, but that didn't work. When they begin to lay, will the eggs be edible since they will come in contact with some of the Seven? Does anyone know a tried and true method of keeping ants away?

Your eggs will be completely edible. Just wash the Sevin off with hot water.

The tried and true method to keep ants away is Sevin dust!

when I am trying to be as organic as possible sevin is far from being safe eve in my garden and vineyard - it is used only if needed for a certain situation. But I know what i am ingesting and at what time after application. but you cannot control inhalation and other forms of absorption by the chickens and in a coop or nesting box. but like the other member said - to each his/her own.

I have had problems with ants in the nesting boxes too. I just clean out all the bedding and wipe out the box with wet paper towels, let dry and refill. It's a lot of work but worth it. I don't put anything but bedding (and chickens) in the boxes. I use poultry dust around outside of coop. Works great but we've had a lot of rain so I'm having to use more often.

Back
Top Bottom