Will She Accept Them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muscovy94, Dec 4, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey My Birthday is Dec. 20 and my friend drove down to see me with my birthday present.... 2 cute little baby chicks! Yay! anyway.. I was wondering something. Currently I have two broody silkies. My blue one is sitting on six eggs and they are all fertile [​IMG]. but I have a splash hen who is also broody sitting on a duck egg that is not fertile. Do you think if I slid the chicks under her or put them in her nest box while she was off the egg eating that she would accept them as her own?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I did this last year, with great success. But someone told me that one should mimic the natural 3 week cycle, in other words, slip the chicks about when the fake egg should hatch. But if she is truely broody, and wanting chicks you might get lucky.

I slipped mine under her at night, and because she was broody, she was also a little grouchy, and I was not quite sure how I was going to get the chicks under her, however, I decided to get them all in the nest and then I was going to lift the hen up and kind of work the chicks under her, but the chicks knew more than me, and as I placed them kind of towards her back, they just disappeared under her, she immediately began talking to them, even though I think she was half asleep and talked to them until I thought she would be hoarse, little cluckings. She shifted around in the nest a bit and then settled down tight. The next morning she was one proud mama, and they loved her.

I think you have to have very fresh chicks, and get a bit lucky, but it can work. Mrs.K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by