Will she come out of broodiness this way? and when?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leight54, Mar 14, 2012.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it possible for a hen to be "mildly broody"? One of my two hens has been broody for about 3 1/2 weeks. She was staying in the nestbox (no eggs) most of the time, so I took it out. (The other hen doesn't use it.) Now she just hunkers down in the pine shavings. She would stay there all day and night if I let her, but what I've been doing is closing them out of the coop during the day. She is not mean at all, and I can pick her up and hold her as usual.

The 2 of them spend the day doing their little chickeny things in the run. She seems perfectly happy - eats, drinks, dust-bathes - all day, but when I put them in for the night, she heads directly for her little spot in the shavings, leaving the other one to sleep alone on the roost.

Will she eventually come out of it this way? I don't want to do anything to stress her out (cold water treatment, wire cage) because it doesn't seem to be a problem, since she eats and all. Sometimes, the other one will try to snuggle in with her, which she doesn't like, but tolerates.

Any thoughts?

(I can't give her eggs to hatch, because I don't want more than 2 chickens)

2. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    let me know what you find out. I have a similar issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by