Will she do this again? :( got head stuck in lay box

FluffyFaverolles

Songster
Nov 28, 2020
Hi there. I just had a really bad scare earlier. My hen Dawn got her head stuck in a space in her lay box trying to peck at an egg (I think?) And I’m really worried that it’s going to happen again. We’re planning on fixing the lay boxes, to make sure the spaces are big enough to get their heads through properly. I feel really, really awful about it.
Will she or another chicken try to do this again if it’s already happened once? I’m really worried that I’m not going to be there to find her and she might get injured or die.
I just wanna know so I can act with urgency.
this is what it looked like when she was stuck.
Again, I feel really awful about this happening. I feel like we weren’t responsible enough with creating proper lay boxes... thank you so much for those who respond. I’ve been anxious all night about her. :(
8DEB47DE-043D-49C2-833D-44AAFD3999DD.png

Have you gotten her out? Can you post a pic of the whole setup, without a chicken there? Why is there a hole?
I got her out hours ago. I’m just afraid of her doing it again. My dad was responsible for the boxes and I had no part of them.
I can post an image later but it’s late right now so I can’t go out.

I got her out hours. I’m just afraid of her doing it again. My dad was responsible for the boxes and I had no part of them.
I can post an image later but it’s late right now so I can’t go out.
It's hard to know what the issue is to fix if you can't see the whole setup :) It's great that you got her out, and once you have pics we can see how to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I’m not really sure myself. My dad made the boxes and his knowledge on chickens isn’t perfect. There’s actually spaces in-between, if you look at the back of the image.
The box looks like this in terms of structure.
View attachment 2437260
Interesting. Are you able to put another layer on top of the holes?

Interesting. Are you able to put another layer on top of the holes?
That’s what I’m planning on doing. My dad said he will fix them but I don’t know when that’s going to be, so if I can do something temporary for now so they don’t stick heads through I would like to do that.
I’m just worried about her repeating the behavior again right now. I would think she wouldn’t because of how traumatic it must have been, but I don’t know...
They haven’t had any problems with the boxes so far until today, and I’m really thankful I was able to catch her before something bad could have happened.

Back
Top Bottom