Will she ever submerduck?

Amykins

Crowing
10 Years
May 11, 2013
I always see adorable videos of day-old ducklings all the way up to adults happily swimming underwater to chase minnows or just to have fun! Wobs, however, is what we would call "aquatically challenged". She paddles just fine, but when she wants to submerge she thrusts her neck down, gives a push of her feet, and...lobs right back up like a cork.

I admit it's hilarious to watch, but I feel bad for her! Is this something some ducks just never get the hang of? Or will she learn with time?

My drake is 6 months old and does the same thing. All four girls swim under the water but poor Ferd has yet to accomplish it

I always see adorable videos of day-old ducklings all the way up to adults happily swimming underwater to chase minnows or just to have fun! Wobs, however, is what we would call "aquatically challenged". She paddles just fine, but when she wants to submerge she thrusts her neck down, gives a push of her feet, and...lobs right back up like a cork.

I admit it's hilarious to watch, but I feel bad for her! Is this something some ducks just never get the hang of? Or will she learn with time?
Is Wobs doesn't mind it and still seems to have fun bobbing around like that, I wouldn't bother. Maybe one day she will get the idea, but I am chalking this up with the "some people never learn how to float on their backs" or "some people never learn to whistle" kind of thing.

Ha, what an appropriate simile! Maybe you're right. I just feel bad, since she tries so hard. She's an only child so there aren't any other ducks to show her the ropes, you know?

Ha, what an appropriate simile! Maybe you're right. I just feel bad, since she tries so hard. She's an only child so there aren't any other ducks to show her the ropes, you know?
I know. My first turkeys, when they are introduced into the big group of adults, they didn't know any of the turkey lingo or anything. So they were at a loss whenever someone would make the call that they found food and everyone would run over there. After a bit, they learned the slang of the adult turkeys and everyone fit in better. Maybe being around the adult ducks when she is older, she will learn better.

Back
Top Bottom