Will she guard the chicks if she doesn't guard the eggs?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a broody that's been sitting on eggs for about 10 days now. She shares the flock lead position with another hen, so she's very high ranking and generally cares about the order a lot - breaks up fights between the others, puts the pullets in their place but without being too mean about it, etc. - a nice peacekeeper who's respected by the others. So I thought she'd be a good choice for a broody. However... I'm noticing some worrying signs. She doesn't seem to remember, or care, which nest is hers. After she gets up to eat, she'll return to whichever nest doesn't have a hen sitting in it. If all are empty, she'll just sit in the first one she sees. And if all are occupied, she'll pace back and forth for a bit and then go back outside! If she's in her own nest and another hen tries to squeeze in next to her, she'll puff up and make half-hearted displeased sounds, but she'll still let the other hen come in and crowd next to her. I regularly find 2-3 hens crammed on top of each other in that nest, and I worry that they'll break the eggs. I have considered fencing the area around her nest off with food and water, so she can't leave and they can't bother her, but that's only part of my concern. My other concern is - if she's not guarding her nest and eggs, will she guard the chicks once they hatch? Last year I used a different broody - very low ranking, but she grew some serious balls as a result of being broody, always went back to her own nest, guarded it, and kicked butt if anybody came near the chicks after they hatched. Even the top hens were afraid of her. She even kept her upgraded position in the pecking order after the chicks grew up. So I guess hierarchy doesn't seem to matter when they go broody? What are your experiences with hens that don't remember/guard their nests? This girl seems very committed otherwise, she's sitting on some expensive eggs and I want this to work. She's 2 years old and has been broody before, though I haven't let her sit and hatch yet until now. Your input would be appreciated!

Here are some of them, all crammed together even though there's a third nest sitting empty. The broody is the Silver Laced Orp on the far right.

1651757555097.png

I have considered fencing the area around her nest off with food and water, so she can't leave and they can't bother her, but that's only part of my concern.
Good idea....it's so much easier if they are separated from the flock.

My other concern is - if she's not guarding her nest and eggs, will she guard the chicks once they hatch?
Yes. Once they hatch her demeanor will change in regards to other birds coming near her chicks.

I know that moving the nest isn't always an option but these are all the main reasons not to let hens brood in the main coop.

I have had hens that are nest hoppers and hens that don't guard their eggs. They all turned out to be fierce mothers that would whop the other chickens butts if they came close to her chicks. There are other hens that are completely opposite. They will fight off anyone that comes near the nest but will try to kill the chicks. I think your hen's mother instinct will come out when the babies hatch.

It's really annoying when they hop from one nest to the other. Did you mark her eggs?

Yes. Once they hatch her demeanor will change in regards to other birds coming near her chicks.
I have had hens that are nest hoppers and hens that don't guard their eggs. They all turned out to be fierce mothers that would whop the other chickens butts if they came close to her chicks.
That sounds reassuring, thank you both!

Good idea....it's so much easier if they are separated from the flock.
I'll fence her off for lockdown, but until then I wanted to give her the option to go outside, stretch her legs and dust bathe. Due to some unfortunate circumstances (first batch of eggs had low fertility), she's on new eggs now and will need to sit an extra week, which might be harder on her if she's confined...

Did you mark her eggs?
Yep.

Back
Top Bottom