1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will something like this work

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catsew, Jun 23, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Will something like this work? We're thinking maybe 10-ish chickens. We'd obviously build it to 4x8 and whatever dimensions we end up with, but with that general idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Looks solid! If you're in a winter area, I'd think more along the lines of allowing at least 4 sq. ft. per bird for your housing. I like the closeable ventilation, but I'd see if you could work in even more than what I see there (assuming this is what you're modeling yours after, since it's obviously not 4x8).

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    That is a nice design. I like the coops where the space underneath may be utilized as a shady part of the run. Maybe I missed it, but I would add a few hardware cloth covered windows for more ventilation.
    Were you thinking 10-ish banties? Your coop would have to be a minimum of 5x8 for that many standard size ladies.
    I think I might build a smaller version of something like this for naughty rooster quarters. Thanks for posting.

4. catsew

Jun 14, 2011
    Its definitely a winter area. I don't know how many we will end up with when we're done. I'd like around 10.

So windows and obviously bigger. OH ok, I see. 5x8. I think maybe I meant 6x8.

I liked the idea of being able to kinda scrape/slide out the bottom of the cage. I was thinking a hoe type instrument would work to get out the wood chips for cleaning. Would that work? I'd also like to line it with linoleum for easier cleaning.

5. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    Looks to me like you are off ad running.... From all I have read here, linoleum is definitely a good decision.

6. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Very nice coop...but might be a little tight for 10

7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    That looks good.

I would raise it up so it is 20-24" off the ground so you can use underneath as part of you run.

Make sure you can reach in through your cleanout doors so you don't have to be a contortionist!

And make sure to increase your ventilation accordingly.

I agree with FiveAcres, use sheet vinyl flooring. I have it in mine and it makes cleaning soooo easy!

Good luck!

8. catsew

Jun 14, 2011
    The one in the picture they said is for 6 mature hens. They have one for 15 mature hens for $800. I'm hoping to build it for less than that. Although maybe I can go see them like I'm interested and get a close up view.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I think it's a nice job. You don't say where you are so if it's a cold area then I'd say it's to small for even ten bantams. They will have to spend some time indoors even with a covered run.

Now if you live in a warmer climate and can leave the pop hole door open 24/7 then I'd say sure it would work for ten bantams but not sure about ten standards. Even in a warm climate, IMO, locking them in at night is best.

If you decide you want to build a new larger coop and are near me I'd be glad to come an get that one. [​IMG]

It's really what I would want and hope to build for my brwn lghn bantams. I hope do half as nice as you have.

Rancher

10. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I don't know. It looks like it would be a dark, dungeonlike coop to me. It would HAVE to have more windows/ventilation. Also, if you are talking 10 full sized birds, especially if they might be cooped up for a while during the winter. You might want to go bigger than 4X8'.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by